Organization: Clémence is a Project Support Intern at Friends of the Earth Malta.
When you think of Meatless Monday, what’s one word that comes to mind?: Sustainability.
Tell us about something going on in your country or city addressing meat reduction: The Malta Meat Free Week happens every year in Malta, and encourages people to cut out meat from their diet for a week. The goal is to make people realize that living without consuming meat is possible. The project also aims to help people continue to cut meat from their diet after Meat Free Week is over.
If you could give one piece of advice or an easy step people could take to reduce their meat consumption, what would it be?:
Don't hesitate to try new things. Trying new vegetarian recipes is fun and it allows you to discover foods you may not otherwise try, such as some different types of fruits or vegetables, or cereals or nuts. It’s also important to know that eating vegetarian does not mean a restrictive diet, because there are so many different plant-based items to try, as well as many new vegetarian alternatives.
What’s your favorite plant-based dish?:
My favorite plant-based recipe is an easy vegetable tart.
- Premade pastry dough
- Tomato sauce (best if homemade)
- Vegetables of your choice (eggplant, bell peppers, mushrooms, onions, etc.)
- Olive oil or vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Spread the pastry dough in a tart mold (using oil of choice instead of butter)
- Spread a base of tomato sauce
- Slice and arrange vegetables of your choice on top of the tomato sauce
- Bake for about 30 minutes
- Enjoy with a side salad